I guess at some point people my age became "grown ups". For some of us it was entering marriage, childbirth, buying a first home, graduating college, or a variety of other milestones. For me, though I am many of the above (not a parent), I don't feel as though there was a definitive moment where I suddenly became an "adult". Age wise I am older, but it isn't like I woke up on my 29th birthday with a bad back or poor vision. I always liked to think of myself as a perpetual kid. I am in denial about adulthood. I still ask my friends what they want to be when they "grow up", often they meet that question with an odd stare. When I inquire about a person's age I always ask, "how young are you?"
Not only do I consider myself "forever young" but I feel the same way about those people around me. I married a man who faithfully reads comic books every Wednesday and has probably seen "Star Wars" a thousand times. At my house we are big kids. Lately I have been having a lot of "grown up" moments.
It is the things that excite me. As an adult the funniest things make me really really happy. This week I was over the moon about a coupon I got in the mail for a discounted cleaning/x-ray/and examination at a local dentist office. I am giddy with joy when Pottery Barn has a sale on towels. I would much rather give an amazing gift to a friend or loved one than receive a present myself. The littlest things make me ridiculously happy: dinner with my husband, long phone conversations with great friends, funny jokes, saving money, clean sheets, a good book, dry cleaning. On the other hand, I used to love the buzz of crowds and hated when things were quiet (now quiet isn't so bad). I am so out of touch with today's music and movie culture (I don't live under a rock), but I can't I couldn't name a Jonas Brother song if you paid me nor have I seen any of the Twilight movies or read the books. In fact, I prefer non-fiction books to fiction (gasp... before long I will be listening to NPR and reading the Wall Street Journal).
While I have taken on some responsible adult tendencies, I don't think I will ever officially become a full-fledged grown up. I still love inappropriate jokes (if you want me to erupt into laughter say "doo-d00"), I will always love animal shaped foods, marshmallow guns, dressing up for halloween, coloring books, the circus, and pixar movies.
So get ready world...
It is official, I am a grown up! (sort of)
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment